Saturday, October 11, 2008

Penny Pinching?

Do you find yourself cussing when you checkout from the grocery store because what used to cost you $50 now costs you $85 or more? I know I am. I found this neat article listing 20 healthiest foods for under $1 a serving. If you're looking to save money at the grocery store without resorting to eating ramen noodles, check it out. I'll tell you something she didn't mention in there, frozen veggies. They are often cheaper than fresh, but usually are higher in nutrients because they were frozen right after harvest, versus being shipped hundreds of miles. Plus they are already cleaned and chopped for you, so half of your prep work is taken care of. Frozen sliced zucchini and yellow squash is great to stir fry up and mix with garlic and serve with some whole wheat pasta. I like a little bit of pesto sauce, but marinara works well too. Good luck!

2 comments:

Retainer Girl said...

Thanks for this, Cindy. I *have* been stressing by how much EVERYTHING seems to cost now. :D

CindyLou said...

sucks doesn't it? I really need some new clothes and what with bills and gas and food, I can't afford to buy anything :(